[p2p-research] Fwd: [LeftLibertarian2] Henry Jenkins Quote

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 18:19:41 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jesse Walker
Date: Jun 15, 2010 9:00 PM
Subject: [LeftLibertarian2] Henry Jenkins Quote
To: Left Libertarian 2 <LeftLibertarian2 at yahoogroups.com>

"When we read reports of fans developing online reference works for
 Lost, say, there's often a dismissive response that says they had too
 much time on their hands. I don't want to undercut the value of this
 grassroots production of knowledge and culture on its own terms, but I
 also want to ask - whose fault is that? Such activity emerges in a world
 which undervalues the creativity and knowledge, the skills and
 intelligence, of every day people -- undervalues it in school,
 undervalues it in the work place. As a result, young people create
 alternative spaces where they can learn and share what they learn with
 each other. It can be enormously frustrating to watch the company where
 you work make bad decisions because it is ill-informed about alternative
 possibilities, even as you sit there, knowing about new ways forward,
 and not being solicited to contribute, or sitting there going through
 mind-numbing repetitive activities while you know a high tech way which
 would be more effective and efficient. Just as schools need to change to
 embrace new ways of learning, companies need to change to embrace new
 ways of working. The most forward thinking companies have relatively
 flat organizations which allow new ideas to emerge bottom up from any
 corner of their staffs. They reconfigure teams so that everyone has a
 chance to lead and people can contribute based on their skill and
 expertise. As we think about who might be best at working in such an
 organization, it may well be someone who grew up playing massively
 multiplayers games, swaping roles, trying new identities, tackling new
 challenges. Hell, don't just hire an individual gamer. Hire an entire
 squad or guild, since this team of people already knows how to work
 together to achieve its goals, already knows what each member can
 contribute, and already trusts each person to carry their own weight. It
 isn't just that companies need to embrace new technologies; they also
 need to recognize and value new cultural processes which come out of
 young people's experience of growing up in a networked society."

 http://henryjenkins.org/2010/06/my_interview.html

 <*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

 <*> To change settings online go to: