[p2p-research] Fwd: Mapping Data / Reference Systems

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 16:31:23 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM
Subject: Mapping Data / Reference Systems
To: econowmix at googlegroups.com
Cc: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>, Carolyn Dare <
carolyn.dare at gmail.com>, George Por <George at community-intelligence.com>,
George Siemens <gsiemens at elearnspace.org>, Samuel Rose <
samuel.rose at gmail.com>

I have been interested in "Reference Maps" for many years,
and am happy to sometimes stumble on posts such as the one by George below,
sharing a project link I also share below.

Feel free to update me on any related projects.

I am currently working on another architecture ( in collaboration with
friends such as Gael )
which includes a granular, distributed and emergent resource allocation tool
based on mutual empowerment through requests and accreditations.

----

some of my related delicious links:

http://delicious.com/deliciousdante/ReferenceMaps

http://delicious.com/deliciousdante/ProcessDimensions

http://delicious.com/deliciousdante/visualization

----

Thanks to George Siemens, for hes following blog post

http://www.elearnspace.org/blog/2010/05/30/visualization-mapping-science-places-and-spaces/

  Visualization – Mapping Science: Places and Spaces

Over the last four years, I’ve been following and engaging in developments
in visualizations and analytics. I presented, with Cyprien Lomas, on the
topic of data visualization in education at an EDUCAUSE conference in San
Antonio in 2008 (if you’re interested, my delicious bookmarks on
visualization are here <http://delicious.com/gsiemens/visualization>).
Visualization is a key strategy in making sense of data and interaction
abundance. Mapping Science: Places and Spaces <http://scimaps.org/> is a
wonderful resource in this regard. The ten-year project is into its fifth
year – see the themes of each year <http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/>

----

http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/

Places & Spaces: Mapping Science is meant to inspire cross-disciplinary
discussion on how to best track and communicate human activity and
scientific progress on a global scale.

Maps

The exhibit is a 10-year effort. Each year, 10 new maps are added resulting
in 100 maps total in 2014.

1st Iteration (2005): The Power of Maps<http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/#1>

2nd Iteration (2006): The Power of Reference
Systems<http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/#2>

3rd Iteration (2007): The Power of
Forecasts<http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/#3>

4th Iteration (2008): Science Maps for Economic Decision
Makers<http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/#4>

5th Iteration (2009): Science Maps for Science Policy Makers
<http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/#5>

6th Iteration (2010): Science Maps for Scholars

7th Iteration (2011): Science Maps as Visual Interfaces to Digital Libraries

8th Iteration (2012): Science Maps for Kids

9th Iteration (2013): Science Maps for Daily Science Forecasts

10th Iteration (2014): Telling Lies with Science Maps
Additional Elements

Illuminated Diagrams <http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/#ID>

WorldProcessor Globes <http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/#globes>

Hands-on Science Maps for Kids <http://scimaps.org/flat/exhibit_info/#Kids>