[p2p-research] Debugging our Code of Conduct (was: Junto and a possible "social software stack")

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 12:09:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com>wrote:

> Alex Rollin wrote:
> > On a list like this, with thousands of members, it seems to me that
> > someday we'll get together and sponsor one of these servers.
>
> Yes, yes, I am very interested in this too.  How can we share Physical
> Sources?...
>
> And how can we share without accidentally becoming one of the same
> beasts we currently fight (facebook, Google, etc.).
>
> We need a detailed description of what to do and what not to do at
> each step so we can finally create a business model that is better
> than *either* of Capitalism or Corporatism.

A list of the steps would be good too!  I have found several pages on the
wiki that talk about "business models" and principles or characteristics of
one kind or another.  I am doing little bits here and there so that these
pages could be seen together as descriptive of a whole system of
characteristics for use in such a step by step outline.
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Business_Models
Michel put in a lot of work on this page:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Business_Models
It links to characteristics like transparency, and could link to things like
"profit".

> This "Code of Conduct" would be a legal document that members of any
> group could apply to any material assets they intend to share.
>

> But we will need to simplify our analysis to find what we have been
> doing wrong and how to correct it.
>
> So let's start with just 2 people and see what we can discover:
>
> > We can keep the profits without ever spending them!
>
> Hmm... If 2 people are sharing some tangible object (say a computer),
> is there such a thing as profit?

I have read your mails before on the subject.  Tis particular message was
cross-posted from the [OK] list.  I should have said, more correctly, that
we 'keep profit by never creating it' but that doesn't have the same ring I
was looking for.

> The 2 people must pay for the costs to purchase, install, maintain,
> etc. the machine.
>
> But I don't think they pay profit - for who would they pay it to?
>
> Also, they do not 'earn' Profit, but are instead paid in 'Product'.
> Their ROI is the very output of that production.  In other words, they
> are owning and working for Use-Value alone.

Yes.  I have seen a few entries on the wiki about profit.  Here is the main
one:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Profit
This could do with some development, and additional perspectives, as well as
how it relates to other characteristics of a system that can withstand the
test of time while paying out returns as 'unitized' use value: server space
etc.