[p2p-research] towardsa an autonet

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 17:15:49 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Dante-Gabryell Monson
<dante.monson at gmail.com> wrote:
> past thread on this list on same topic :
>
> http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-September/004734.html
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sepp,
>>
>> this looks significant, could you announce it in our blog, see
>> http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/06/22/18603456.php
>>
>> --
>> P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net
>>
>> Connect: http://p2pfoundation.ning.com; Discuss:
>>
>> Updates: http://del.icio.us/mbauwens; http://friendfeed.com/mbauwens;
>> http://twitter.com/mbauwens; http://www.facebook.com/mbauwens
>>
>> Think tank: http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI

I love the concept, but it looks like their old project space from
last year is now gone :-(
http://trac.alt-bit.org/wiki/projects/autonet

...and http://alt-bit.org/ as the default apache webserver response "It works!"

That old email that dante refers to
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-September/004734.html
discusses the following:

>>>  "speed issues, routing issues, DNS control, splits and neutrality."

For those who have the technical knowledge, and interest, I would like
to discuss this right here.

The next development we are working on now with
http://flows.panarchy.com/index.php?title=Main_Page is to auto
discover protocols within a proximity, and create connection based on
matches. The reality we are in now is that commercial networks will
soon reach a limit of the capacity they can handle under current
growth conditions (growth of devices, growth of usage of bandwidth
even among existing users, etc). Let alone the whole issue that
governments and corporations are likely to start creating "great
firewalls" and restricting freedom. Even if no freedom is restricted,
the capacity of networks vs the demand from devices seems likely to
create an unsustainable disparity over time. (Devices meaning not just
desktop, laptop computers and mobile devices, but new network
connected devices like sensors, robots, devices in cars, etc). The
first available capacity is within each device: it's surplus
processing power, bandwidth, distributed proximity, energy supplies,
etc

Realistically, these networks need the ability to create p2p networks,
and *also* participate in government controlled networks. Yet, for
sure, they need to be able to stand on their own.

I think the problem could be tackled with the development of 2
"modes", and this is what we are doing no with
tp://flows.panarchy.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

1.Development of  failover to p2p: When devices exceed capacity in
traditional systems, they failover to p2p and use available shared
resources from any device in the network that is participating in the
sharing.

2. Development of failover to controlled networks: devices primarily
network as peers, using shared resources first, and failover to
traditional commercial/government controlled networks.

More details to come...

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com