[p2p-research] Junto and a possible "social software stack"

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 20:34:58 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Sepp Hasslberger <sepp at lastrega.com> wrote:
> Dear Michel,
> inspired by Venessa's latest post
> http://emergentbydesign.com/2010/06/07/a-pay-it-forward-business-model-in-transition-to-a-new-global-society/
> I put a little introduction to the Junto concept together, to post on the
> P2P Foundation blog.
> Scheduled tentatively for 16 June :))
> Sepp

We've been using http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/ which is all
red5 flash based (totally open source) for about 3-4 months now. It
shows that this can all be done without proprietary code.

If we can convince more developers to stop developing in proprietary
flash, and start developing in open laszlo and red5, we think this
will help the cause of rich internet applications that are actually
Free/Libre Open Source software.

> On 24/mag/10, at 11:46, Michel Bauwens wrote:
>
> dear Sepp, (or Franz)
>
> at some point when you have time, could you bring junto to the attention of
> our readers, adding any comments of your own, such as Franz' proposals
>
> Venessa, don't hesitate to post something on Ning already yourself, I can
> also easily facebook/twitter it for further attention,
>
> Michel
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada at reflex.at> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vanessa,
>>
>> I saw your posts
>>
>> http://emergentbydesign.com/2010/04/17/junto-is-born/
>>
>> http://emergentbydesign.com/2010/04/18/open-letter-to-tim-berners-lee-help-us-build-junto/
>>
>> I really like the basic idea of Junto and want to propose talking about a
>> possible comnnection.
>>
>> You know there is a "stack" of applications that work together more
>> seamlessly every day
>>
>> LAMP
>>
>> Linux
>> Appache Mail Server
>> MySql Database
>> PHP Programming
>>

>> After tons of research on the replacement of NING, I see a quite similar
>> "Social Open Source Software Stack" ahead that COULD work nicely
>>

>> JGEP  (->A Nice Toung Breaker)
>>
>> JUNTO  as a instant messages and chat tool with all the video and audio
>> features that we like from skype but groupwise, built around wave IM style
>> - for a-doc gatherings
>> Groupserver as the best way to augment/replace mailinglists and
>> yahoogroups - for diverse interests and low cohesion
>> ELGG as sophisticated forum and Group Incubating Tool replacing NING
>> including forum and blog functions
>> PROWIKI (www.prowiki.org) as IMHO the best fractal wiki engine in the web
>> with enormous structural potential. especially as collective authoring
>> tool for sustainable HyperTexts (although Perl-based)
>>
>> just an intuition and a dream of mine. If we could connect them all we
>> would have ALL what we need!
>>
>> (except, maybe, a CMS or so for the cool community window to the world,
>> and a streaming community TV for thes ame purpose but thats a totally
>> different story)
>>
>> Franz
>>
>> Franz Nahrada
>> GIVE Forschungsgesellschaft
>> Globally Integrated Village Environment
>> Lab for Global Villages
>> Jedleseer Strasse 75
>> Vienna Austria
>>

> --
> P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net  - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net

> Think thank: http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com