[p2p-research] Fwd: P2P Foundation official announcement regarding EU project

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 13:34:48 CEST 2010

fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: james burke <lifesized at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM
Subject: P2P Foundation official announcement
To: gender panteion <genderpanteion at gmail.com>

 Dear All,

Following the meeting in Brussels, it became increasingly apparent that the
P2P Foundation's participation in the project has become difficult and put
strains on the entire project moving forwards. While we were not happy with
many aspects of this situation, actually surprised at how this situation
evolved, *we have made the final decision **to now formally retire from this
project* to ensure the best possible outcome for all involved. We will
therefore not
be submitting a new proposal with replenished team. We want to wish you safe
travels and a successful journey, which has only just begun.

The original research team we submitted and proposal we made did take quite
some arranging to put together. We are a transnational research institute
operating in Asia and in Europe. Our research skill lies with new forms of
information production/circulation. These were the premises under which we
were invited to join the project and on top of which we developed our
theoretical framework and case studies. We were naturally quite upset when
these premises were abruptly changed, since we had invested a lot of time
and resources in order to contribute. I seem to remember that this discussed
in Brussels as miscommunication over an understanding of what transnational
meant in terms of the project. We know that this particular case has been
indeed exceptional and not how most EU projects usually start.

For the record, we ask that for any future projects you take part in, that
no leading team sends an email two weeks after the kickoff asking a partner
to step out, and make it quite clear what your expectations are from all
teams through each process of the project. We were always open to being
constructive and adaptive to other partners suggestions and questions.
Somehow things ended up in a shouting match between us and Panteion which is
not good for anyone. We all make mistakes and so let the lessons be learned
and a new sheet turned. We are understandably very disappointed, after the
initial surprise and regret that things have come to where they are now.

Good luck and wishing you success with the project and make every tax payers
euro cent count.

Regards

James (project manager and as it so happens, secretary of the P2P
Foundation)