[p2p-research] Post-Colombian news: Pre-announcement of p2p research agreement between the p2p foundation and Rosario University

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 01:05:21 CEST 2010

I just finished a difficult but rewarding Euro-Latinamerican lecture tour,
which will be extended by participation in my home town of Chiang Mai at the
Mekong ICT camp, and ensuing BarCamp.

Most listreaders are probably aware of the difficulties, resulting from
three cancellations and delays in a row. First, the Argentinian leg was
postponed to November, then, the lecture in Coimbra, Portugal was cancelled
while I was already on my way, but third and most importantly, the State of
the World forum on climate change, in Salvador de Bahia in Brazil, was
cancelled due to a case of high-level corruption, which in turn endangered
my Colombian leg.

However, thanks to the p2p friends in different countries,  a substantial
part of the tour was rescued, though still with a serious loss of income.

First of all, I want to thank Cosma Orsi, in Milan, where I could stay a few
extra days (instead of Coimbra). Cosma is a great scholar, and  the author
of the Politics of Reciprocity, from which I ‘borrowed’ the concept of a
Partner State; second, I could stay with Robin Good and his wonderful family
 in Rome. Robin is the publisher of the multimedia MasterNewMedia.com site,
a very important resource for P2P tools in all areas of activity (this
replaced Argentina). Finally Caroline Botero, and her husband at Rosario
University in Bogota, saved the Colombian trip by paying the ticket, in
exchange for lodging with their parents. I had a great time in Milan, though
suffered from the Berlusconi laws, rendering WiFi nearly illegal and thus
very hard to find; in Rome, where I produced some extra p2p interview videos
with Robin; and in Bogota, where the 2 lectures were videotaped, and I had a
great time visiting bottom up initiatives, such as Ojo de Sancocho, a
collaborative video project in the Ciudad Boliver ‘barrio’ (or slum); Frutos
de Utopia, a seed commons oriented organic farm;  and DESIS, the Columbian
antenna of Ezio Manzini’s creative communities (with wonderful Andrea
Mendoza). I also met Ofray, a free software advocate who will launch a p2p
partner site, ‘inter pares’.

Important for the future, Julio Gaitan, announced his intention to work
closely with the P2P Foundation, both by inaugurating  a annual paid PhD
position, dedicated to p2p research, open to all Spanish-speaking students,
but preferably from Latin America; and a bi-annual conference on p2p
thematics. (all with rosario)

More on the latter when we will have prepared the documents.