[p2p-research] Manchester Film Cooperative, Revolution OS

Phoebe pvm.doc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 22:24:42 CEST 2010

Hi!

I've love to let the list know that on Tuesday the 29th June, we will be
screening Revolution OS
as part of our theme for the Manchester Film Cooperative on 'Movement'.

http://www.manchesterfilm.coop/

Because we are a Cooperative, the themes, and films we screen are voted on
by members. We make no profit of course and are run in the Cooperatives
alternative model. We screen films in the upstairs venue of the fabulous
Kings Arms with interested people: activitists, people on the left,
concerned citizens and more.

We'd love to get the Free Software community involved in the screening on
the 29th June, since it is also part of an initiative to get the Cooperative
movement to speak to the Free Software communities. The last weeks of June
are this year's official Cooperatives Fortnight.

http://www.cooperatives-uk.coop/live/cme3083.htm

You see the connection.

I have, personally, written about the ecologies of free software (final
section of book to be published as soon as I get these proofs finished, it's
called the* International Political Economy of Work and Employability*, with
Palgrave; as well as a piece in FibreCulture next year in the special issue
Media Ecologies), a piece with Paul A Taylor  (2009) ‘Exploitation of the
Self in Community-Based Software Production: Workers’ Freedoms or Firm
Foundations?’, *Capital and Class *97: 99-120, and I put on the event Media
Ecologies and Postindustrial Production last November
http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/sssi/p2p/ which brought practitioners and
thinkers from across the world to sunny Salford!

Anyway hope this sounds interesting and hope to see you at the King's Arms
on the 29th June. We need a speaker too if anyone is interested--all this
requires is a chair for the discussions we hold at the end, complete with
delicious King's Arms beers. Ed Mayo may come--as in, the Secretary General
for Co-operatives UK <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-operatives_UK> but
this hasn't been confirmed yet.

All the best, and hope you can all come,
Phoebe

Email pvm.doc at gmail.com
Twitter @phoebemoore
Facebook PhoebeMoore