[p2p-research] Why do we not choose Permaculture?

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 16:53:41 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to find out why our species has decided to move so very
> far away from local sufficiency toward a dangerous dependecy upon
> centralized production.
>
> We have the Land, Water and willing Workers, so what is the problem?
>
> Why don't we grow Almonds, Avocados and Olives, in our cities (where
> climates allow)?
>
> Why are there not grape vines, berry bushes and spice plants in all
> the places we installed unproductive species?
>
> I think there are some logistic problems we have overlooked and am
> trying to enumerate them so each can be addressed.
>
> Please respond if any sound wrong or to add those that are missing.

Part of the "why?" is that the human as a species (and as individuals
and societies) are not always logical, inductive of environment,
anticipatory, and objective, but rather are primarily driven by what
they believe to be their *fundamental problems of existence*.

If a given human, or group of humans, believes that responding to the
complexities of existence requires foresight, logic, and response
appropriate to environment, they may come to the conclusion that
permaculture is a worthy investment.

But, if a different group of people believe, for instance, that
appeasing a God, or controlling physical reality, projecting the most
physical power, etc are the real fundamental existential dilemmas they
are trying to solve, they may instead choose other priorities for
investing their energies in during their time in this world.

For any person or people, "why" they may or may not employ a given
practice very often depends on what they perceive as the fundamental
existential dilemma, or what they believe dominates as fundamental
existential dilemma in the system they live in.

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com