[p2p-research] Trust Relationships in P2P Networks

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 18:01:19 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM, danny jp <dannyjpw at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The question for me that comes up is, what happens when the currency,
>> primarily, is multilateral.  Let's say a network owns a house.
>>

> *A P2P network cannot by definition jointly own a house. The house would
> have to be split up into shares managed in a trust, and then individual
> nodes would own or owe a given number of such units. In this case the trust
> manager either has to have a link with each joint owner, (the trust manager
> owns the house as an asset and 'owes' the other nodes their share). Also,
> how do you presume the various nodes managed to get together to 'jointly'
> own the house in the first place?
> *

I presume that individuals in the network made an agreement that each of
them, individually, signed, in some way.  The agreeement gives them shares
of a sort, yes.  They manage it together.  If they fall out of the network
they get nothing, and if new ones join they have to do something for a share
or arrange to trade with others for access to their share.  They can play
the role of trust manager, and the decisions that need to be made they can
make as a group.  They can make an agreement about what rules are used to
deem a decision final.  I can also see a situation where it might be useful
that another "corporation" or something like a trust owned the house, but
this is not immediately necessary.

> *
> For sure you can posit a leadership node which links to every single node
> in the network and has trust from them. You can view the current economy as
> a P2P network in which the government/central bank links to every single
> node if you like but I'm not sure how much light that sheds on the matter.
> *

In this network every node links to every other node, and they may or may
not accept each and every currency from each other.  That said, if a subset
buy a house together, somehow, and make a currency that represents use value
of the house, they could, it would seem, carry out the transactions of the
bank/multilateral type, each node on its own.   They would need to add a
"house" currency to Ripple, for example.

Alex