[p2p-research] Trust Relationships in P2P Networks

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:36:21 CEST 2010

Alex Rollin wrote:

> I wondered if others would agree that
> bilateral and multilateral trust can
> occur in a P2P Network and that this
> would by definition form a Commons
> when the trust is multilateral.

Even though the word "multilateral" might
be interpreted as either of: one-to-many,
many-to-one or many-to-many, it made
me think more about "multi-owner", or what
I've been thinking of as "P2P Clustering"
and how many facets of an economy are
out of reach until a sort of "Critical Mass"
is reached.

So we 'trust' banks and corporations and
governments, even when they treat us
badly, because ... well for many reasons
that I will try to enumerate in another post.

On a somewhat unrelated note:
> danny jp wrote:
>> the reason we use public debt as outside money
>> is that it is easier to trust taxpayers to meet future
>> commitments (since they can be compelled to pay)
>> than it is a given private bank.

This (probably accidentally) implies we would not trust
"outside money" unless it were debt-based.

I claim the trust comes from the clustering alone which in
turn grants the "right by might" authority to enforce that
social-contract.

This will work for most any type of money - whether it is
based on debt, is simply fiat, is backed by precious metals,
is backed by commodities, or (my preference) is backed by
a combination of the Title over the "Physical Sources" plus a
legally-binding "Labor Bond" from a qualified worker or, (even
better), from a group of skilled workers who "Commit to Apply
the Skills" needed to produce some *future* good.