[p2p-research] Sharing of Resources : when multiple users need exclusive access to shared resources

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 14:58:47 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Dante-Gabryell Monson
<dante.monson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marc ( cc: Alex )
> In relation to PPP
> http://www.publicprivateproperty.org/wiki/Main_Page
> I realized this could be an interesting situation :
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dining_philosophers_problem
> " In general the dining philosophers problem is a generic and abstract
> problem used for explaining various issues which arise in problems which
> hold mutual exclusion as a core idea. The various kinds of failures these
> philosophers may experience are analogous to the difficulties that arise in
> real computer programming when multiple programs need exclusive access to
> shared resources. These issues are studied in the branch of Concurrent
> Programming. "

Yes, exactly, this is why I sent this to you a while ago. Someone else
replied that this does not really apply to humans and human activity,
but I disagree.

The problems of starvation and deadlock most assuredly emerge in human
systems, and dining philosophers gives some practical insight into
ways of dealing with it.

Dining philosophers indeed could be related to the public/private
property problem in this way.

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://forwardfound.org