[p2p-research] The Production Bubble: Why Capitalism Withholds Solutions and Gets Away with It

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 03:23:37 CEST 2010

This type of argument makes me want to say that some production ought be
moved out of the market, as competition for "richness" needn't necessarily,
theoretically, endanger food supply or housing availability.

Josef Davies-Coates recently reminded me that a tree must be pruned and
provoked to fruit under some threat of death.  While this may be true for
trees, and coercion is certainly one means to evoke a response in humans, I
wonder if there are studies that prove all humans provide such a suitable
response only under threat.  Aren't other conditions possible besides
threat?  I am rather certain there are other ways.

To say that markets are not run by executives is bull.  People are making
decisions.  No one is calling for perfect markets in this conversation.  To
offload the responsibility on nameless faceless masses is not appropriate or
accurate.

Some people do want to be rich.  I like the idea of everyone having a chance
to taste metaphorical blood, and I see no reason for any real blood to be
spilt, yet any position that defends unregulated markets defends the
position that blood should be allowed to be split, in real red.

Luckily markets still function under state rules, except where corporations,
their leaders, and employees abuse their privilege.  It is always possible
to cut back on the freedoms that the poorer examples (ie the market leaders)
are allowed to enjoy.  The often idolized and particularly American phantasm
of the free market often beguiles those who would be rich; they are often
then one who believe (metaphysically or otherwise)  that the market was ever
or could ever be free.  It is not, and it will be reigned in before we are
all ruined.