[p2p-research] the brain mindmapping?

Tilman Bauer inbox at tilmanbauer.eu
Sat Jul 24 22:42:30 CEST 2010

Hi!

I have been using PersonalBrain for over a year now and I have completely
fallen in love with the software! It has really become my "digital mind".
The software starts automatically when I start my computer because there is
NOTHING I would do on a computer without my brain. I just realized that my
"digital life" is so much better organized when everything is linked
visually, when every peace of digital text that I have (including every
essay that I write, my lecture notes from university, people's contact
information, todo lists, emails, even linked (i.e. bookmarked) websites are
indexed) is searchable AND findable :) In other words, I have everything
(literally everything that I have on my computer) in my one big
brain connected to any other thoughts that might be relevant.

I must say, though, that in the beginning it might not be obvious why one
should start using thebrain. The thing is that as long as your brain is
rather empty and new, it won't be of much use (unless you really need to
depict something visually right away). However, the longer I have been using
it, the more I appreciate it because nowadays I more often access my brain
to get information rather than to put information in. This was the other way
round for the first six months or so. Indeed, in the beginning I had to
force myself to start using it (because I assumed that it would become
useful in the future). Yet, the consistent input and organization of all
thoughts, texts, files, etc over time brought up situations where the
advantages and usefulness of thebrain became evident. For example, before I
meet a person, I always check what I have linked to that person in my brain.
This has proven extremely useful, also for instance for creating a database
of a personal network of people. Furthermore, I really like the built-in
calendar and the (naturally crucial) backup functionality through creating a
brainzip file that contains the whole brain.

Finally, about which version to use, for me the free version is not enough
because I need to attach files to my thoughts. If you don't use that
feature, the free version might be enough for you, depending on your use.
Whether to pay for the better version is of course (usually ;)) a question
of money, ie if you can afford it. I for sure do recommend it! But start
with the 30-day trial and see for yourself.

If you have any questions or if you need advice how to get started, I am
more than happy to help! After all, I am kind of enthusiastic about this
software :) I for sure do recommend it to everyone! Even my not-at-all-nerdy
girlfriend started using it!

Warm greetings from Austria,

Tilman

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> does anyone have experience with TheBrain mindmapping? seems ideal for me,
> and there is a free edition, but the site does not look very clear on what
> it contains, and if I see a version update is already $75 then it's not
> affordable for me .. there is now an open web version as well it seems
>
>  <http://www.thebrain.com/>
> *TheBrain - Mind Mapping Software, Brainstorming, GTD and Visual KM
> Software <http://www.thebrain.com/>*
> www.thebrain.com
> TheBrain provides advanced Mind Mapping Software and Knowledge Management
> Software that uses visualization and intuitive concept maps to enable
> intuitive searching, browsing, and organization of information. Disparate
> data sources are integrated and connected into an associative knowledge
> network to...

> Think tank: http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI

---
- - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-
- Tilman Bauer
-
- International Peace Studies
- University for Peace
- Ciudad Colon, Costa Rica, 2009-2010
-
- inbox at tilmanbauer.eu
- tilman at hospitalityclub.org
-
- http://www.tilmanbauer.eu
-
- * * * *
-
- Check out the HOSPITALITY CLUB!
- http://www.hospitalityclub.org
-
- Do you love meeting people from other cultures?
- Do you love traveling?
- Do you love helping other people?
-
- Then the Hospitality Club is for you!
-
- As a member you don't have any obligations!
- (It's for free!)
-
- My username in the club is tilman
- More info on my personal homepage