[p2p-research] Defining Altruism ? Normative vs Autonomous ? Liberal Vs Conservative ?

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 20:05:51 CEST 2010

On 7/22/10, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To call Bill Gates a thief is to make a mockery of theft.  He has produced.
> His production has built thousands of good lives, good houses, cars, college
> educations, etc.

Any firm following a state-enforced monopoly business model, to the
extent it is successful doing so, produces good lives for those on the
gravy train.  Boeing and Lockheed-Martin have also produced good lives
for those who work for them and collect their dividends.  That doesn't
change the fact that it's theft.

If an a priori set of ethical postulates that leads me to believe that
intellectual property" is theft is "religious," so be it.  But by the
same standard your own repeated assertion that copyright violations
like file-sharing are theft is also religious.

Anyone who lives off the rents of state-enforced monopoly privilege is a thief.

> To paraphrase John Lennon...if you want support for people with minds that
> hate...all I can tell you brother is that you'll have to wait.

If calling a thief a thief is "hate," so be it.  So apparently you
hate downloaders, eh, brother?

My impression is that your own language of moral condemnation re
things you disapprove of, in the past, has been just as strong as my
moral condemnation of Bill Gates.  So please get off that high horse
about "hate" before you fall and hurt yourself.

Alternating between an anti-metaphysical, wertfrei stance and language
of moral condemnation, when either is convenient for the immediate
situation, must be a useful strategy.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism