[p2p-research] Fwd: pdf : Ivan Illich - Tools for Conviviality, 1973 - book

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 15:16:14 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM
Subject: pdf : Ivan Illich - Tools for Conviviality, 1973 - book
To: hc_ecology at yahoogroups.com, sustainable_solidarity at yahoogroups.com,
econowmix at googlegroups.com, agile-vortex at googlegroups.com

in 1973, Ivan Illich in "Tools for Conviviality"

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2910912/1973-tools-for-convivality-Ivan-Illich

"My purpose is to lay down criteria by which the manipulation of people for
the sake of their tools can
be immediately recognized, and thus to exclude those artifacts and
institutions which inevitably
extinguish a convivial life style. Paradoxically, a society of simple tools
that allows men to achieve
purposes with energy fully under their own control is now difficult to
imagine. Our imaginations have
been industrially deformed to conceive only what can be molded into an
engineered system of social
habits that fit the logic of large-scale production. We have almost lost the
ability to frame in fancy a
world in which sound and shared reasoning sets limits to everybody's power
to interfere with
anybody's equal power to shape the world."

more :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Illich?oldid=0#Tools_for_Conviviality

*Tools for Conviviality* (1973) was published only two years after *Deschooling
Society*. In this new work Illich generalized the themes that he had
previously applied to the field of education: the institutionalization of
specialized knowledge, the dominant role of technocratic elites in
industrial society, and the need to develop new instruments for the
reconquest of practical knowledge by the average citizen. Illich proposed
that we should "invert the present deep structure of tools" in order to
"give people tools that guarantee their right to work with independent
efficiency."