[p2p-research] Progressing on the p2p political front

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 08:18:33 CEST 2010

I have no doubt that some social conservatives are sincere in their
preference for a strong civil society, against both the central state and
the private market, and that concrete p2p and commons projects may be
benefit from such a commonality of views ..

however, I have no doublt that at the same time, the political
conservatives, who are mainstream supporters of the present financialized
market form, are using this as a ideological prop to hollow out the
redistributive provisions of the state,

I think both statements can be true,

Richard, regarding another private question you asked me separately, I have
written a little piece slated for the 31st on our blog:

Does human nature need to change for a p2p transformation to occur?

Someone asked me recently, if it was not naïve to expect such a major
change, as human nature does not change, and so we will have capitalism for
another 50 generations.

A good question, which generates a number of responses from my side.

First of all, human nature has not, and will never be, a static given, it is
rather a biological and social construct which is differentiated over time
and space, and slowly evolves over time.

Certainly, human nature is not, and will never be, that construct of
ideological capitalism which presumes a rational actor that is only acting
out of self-interest. 30 years of social studies, have profoundly challenged
any such claims. (see the cooperation commons of Howard Rheingold and
friends, as one of the projects monitoring this shift)

The human being has always been paradoxical, and a combination of
contradictory traits.

Human nature is furthermore strongly conditioned by social structures, and
of course, this is the basis of the truthiness of the rational actor
ideology, we now do have a society which is geared on promoting and
developing a particular combination of traits, at the expense of others.

But there are several reasons to be hopeful.

The first is that, if “being determines consciousness”, then indeed, the
proliferation of open infrastructures and practices based on sharing and
collaboration, does affect human attitudes, both in the virtual and physical
worlds (which in any case, cannot in practice be usually separated).

The second is that the mainstream system has reached the limits of its
long-term survival, it is now actively destroying the biosphere we all
depend on. So expecting 50 generations of this system is sheer lunacy.

Third, there is evidence that human attitudes are changing. I’m thinking of
the human development studies of people like Susan-Cook Greuter, and the
world values surveys by people like Ronald Inglehart. Most striking was a
2008 (or 2007), Edelman Trust Barometer report, which showed that in a mere
four years, a majority of people had shifted their allegiances from
instutitions to peers.

All the evidence that we are collecting via the P2P Foundation, and other
initiatives such as Shareable, suggest that sharing and peer to peer
practices, and the social demand for openness, transparency, and a
commons-orientation, while still minoritarian, are proliferating and
growing.

In conclusion, I would say that an active minority is constructing a new
type of social infrastructure, which however causes changes in a much larger
group of users, and that this combined effect is instrumental in creating
deeper social shifts.

Undoubtedly, there are counter-trends, and in no way should we predict
change on the basis of knowing how human nature is evolving, but nothing
says we cannot be active actors ourselves, and be an active minority with
real world influence. I remember reading that only a few thousand people
were involved with the Renaissance, and yet it changed the whole course of
European civilization.

So, even though ‘human nature’ evolves slowly and as a result of complex
factors, nevertheless, the particular p2p sensibility is growing and
important enough to cause a mid and long-term re-orientation of social
values.