[p2p-research] The Production Bubble: Why Capitalism Withholds Solutions and Gets Away with It

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 20:27:25 CEST 2010

Commodity prices move together...it is a function of fear of inflation.

Lately they've fallen.

Wheat is going to be under pressure because it is a hot wet summer in the
US...so volumes will again be high.  Oil isn't that high, so transport will
be soft.  Baltic Dry Indicies are falling falling falling.

Markets are complex.  If only they moved based on the machinations of
executives.

R.

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com>wrote:

> Devinder Sharma wrote:
> > In 2008, wheat production was the highest.
> > There was therefore no reason why wheat
> > prices should have soared to a record level.
>
> No reason?  I'll give you the reasons:
>
> 0.) For-Profit Corporations care nothing about Product except as a
> vehicle for extracting Profit during the exchange of finished goods.
>
> 1.) Profit requires Scarcity and scarcity is held in place initially
> by withholding access to the finished products and more completely by
> withholding access to the *Sources* of those products.
>
> 2.) Our ignorant treatment of Profit as though it were a reward for
> the current owners incents those owners to make decisions and write
> legislation that limits or destroys production to even further
> increase Profit.  It is a dangerous positive-feedback loop.
>
> 3.) We can never fully solve the problems of society using such a
> model, for to do so would destroy the only reason for those entities
> to exist - to keep Price above Cost.

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham