[p2p-research] The Production Bubble: Why Capitalism Withholds Solutions and Gets Away with It

Patrick Anderson agnucius at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 19:39:00 CEST 2010

Devinder Sharma wrote:
> In 2008, wheat production was the highest.
> There was therefore no reason why wheat
> prices should have soared to a record level.

No reason?  I'll give you the reasons:

0.) For-Profit Corporations care nothing about Product except as a
vehicle for extracting Profit during the exchange of finished goods.

1.) Profit requires Scarcity and scarcity is held in place initially
by withholding access to the finished products and more completely by
withholding access to the *Sources* of those products.

2.) Our ignorant treatment of Profit as though it were a reward for
the current owners incents those owners to make decisions and write
legislation that limits or destroys production to even further
increase Profit.  It is a dangerous positive-feedback loop.

3.) We can never fully solve the problems of society using such a
model, for to do so would destroy the only reason for those entities
to exist - to keep Price above Cost.