[p2p-research] China Overtakes US in Energy Production

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Thu Jul 22 11:06:28 CEST 2010

On 22/07/10 08:34, Ryan Lanham wrote:
> By the way, given that their economy is so much smaller...this suggests
> they are highly inefficient in a classic technocracy industrial sense...
>
> http://www.dailymarkets.com/economy/2010/07/20/china-overtakes-the-us-as-worlds-largest-energy-consumer/

Hi Ryan,

I think you're referring to the energy intensity of China's economy. It
is more complex that simply blaming it on china's technocracy:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Energy_intensity
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_countries_by_energy_intensity

In terms of energy intensity, there is hardly any difference between the
US and China and, in my view, not enough to draw the conclusion you have
made (though in general, 'developed' economies are less energy intensive
than developing economies).

>From the 2003 figures above, Finland and Iceland are more energy
intensive than much of Europe and China, yet they are advanced democracies.

Also, like emissions, I don't think the US will include the energy China
uses to produce goods for US import in its accounting.

Joss