[p2p-research] Defining Altruism ? Normative vs Autonomous ? Liberal Vs Conservative ?

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:28:46 CEST 2010

To call Bill Gates a thief is to make a mockery of theft.  He has produced.
His production has built thousands of good lives, good houses, cars, college
educations, etc.

To paraphrase John Lennon...if you want support for people with minds that
hate...all I can tell you brother is that you'll have to wait.

R.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Kevin Carson <
free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/20/10, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How would people explain the altruism of a Bill Gates, Warren Buffett,
> etc.
> > Guilt?
> >
> > Bill Gates has done far more for humanity than everyone on this list
> > combined.  Yet, I suspect many here would hold him in contempt.
>
> My usual reaction to stories of plutocratic philanthropy is that,
> instead of giving back part of what they extracted from society, they
> just shouldn't steal in the first place.  I don't think it's possible
> to become a billionaire by honest means, without some sort of rent
> extraction with the help of the government.  Just about every penny of
> Gates' fortune comes from the "intellectual property" rents he's
> extracted with the help of the state.
>
> --
> Kevin Carson
> Center for a Stateless Society http://c4ss.org
> Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism
> http://mutualist.blogspot.com
> The Homebrew Industrial Revolution:  A Low-Overhead Manifesto
> http://homebrewindustrialrevolution.wordpress.com
> Organization Theory:  A Libertarian Perspective
> http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2005/12/studies-in-anarchist-theory-of.html

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham