[p2p-research] criticizing zeitgeist movement and venus project

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 17:30:02 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Robin <robokow at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Dear list-members,
>
> From time to time I still meet people who advocate the Zeitgeist movement
> and the Venus Project. I have criticism towards these projects but never
> have had time or interest to dive deeply into it.
>
> I am however very surprised there is little to be found around the web. Even
> in Wikipedia there isn't anything listed:
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/The_Zeitgeist_Movement (see
> the talk page for some stuff)
>
> The only thing I could find is a good critique off the usage of conspiracy
> theories by zeitgeist.
> http://conspiracyscience.com/articles/zeitgeist/ &
> http://conspiracyscience.com/blog/category/zeitgeist/
>
> My main concerns are:
> * Claims of holding "the truth" and "the solution"
> * Usage of conspiracy theories & heavy usage of propagandist style/
> techniques
> * Technical approach to solving problems
> * Relying on a statist approach, Top-down structured
> * Against free speech; Not thinking for yourself.
> * A militant like movement where members become warriors/ evangelists.

Robin, these are good points. I have a feeling these approaches are
used because they are good ways to attract lots of people to
affiliate. The problem is that the actual reality of things can be
affected by the disinformation about them.

> I was wondering if anyone has any good resources that can be used and I
> would like to see also where this approach differs from a p2p approach, and
> what it shares.
>
> I remember some discussions on the e-mail list but nothing really coherent.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robin.

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com