[p2p-research] criticizing zeitgeist movement and venus project

Robin robokow at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 17:26:32 CEST 2010

  Dear list-members,

 From time to time I still meet people who advocate the Zeitgeist
movement and the Venus Project. I have criticism towards these projects
but never have had time or interest to dive deeply into it.

I am however very surprised there is little to be found around the web.
Even in Wikipedia there isn't anything listed:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/The_Zeitgeist_Movement
(see the talk page for some stuff)

The only thing I could find is a good critique off the usage of
conspiracy theories by zeitgeist.
http://conspiracyscience.com/articles/zeitgeist/ &
http://conspiracyscience.com/blog/category/zeitgeist/

My main concerns are:
* Claims of holding "the truth" and "the solution"
* Usage of conspiracy theories & heavy usage of propagandist style/
techniques
* Technical approach to solving problems
* Relying on a statist approach, Top-down structured
* Against free speech; Not thinking for yourself.
* A militant like movement where members become warriors/ evangelists.

I was wondering if anyone has any good resources that can be used and I
would like to see also where this approach differs from a p2p approach,
and what it shares.

I remember some discussions on the e-mail list but nothing really coherent.

Thanks.

Robin.