[p2p-research] Defining Altruism ? Normative vs Autonomous ? Liberal Vs Conservative ?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 08:40:45 CEST 2010

Bill Gates was a business warlord, who destroyed countless enterpreneurs and
innovators through legal and illegal means, he was a monopolist, an
anti-innovator, but he did create the standard that was used for personal
computing .. he was also an enemy of openness and all the things this list
stand for, that's not a secret, and his IP rents has been very detrimental
to the development of the South .. it's a strong form of neo-colonialism

certainly, and this is very common, people who have extracted so much value
from humanity, feel a spiritiual crisis, and fear for their reputation
after their death ... I'm not sure I have the story right, but when paulina
barsook wrote cyber-selfish, she noted that unlike previous wealthy
generations, the digital rich were not contributing to philanthropy, and
this book created social pressure; I was also told that it was his wife who
was instrumental in convincing him to change tack and start giving. You
could say that, in the context of another previous discussion, what drives
him is enlightened self-interest ... i.e. solving their spiritual crisis,
creating a lasting reputation, and at the same time, solving a number of
social problems through the money they have accumulated

Of course, it's better, and good, that people who have extracted value all
their life, give back, but better yet, would have been to develop business
models and practices, which combine doing well and good simulataneously. As
you know, there is now a strong movement to change business in that sense,
through fair trade, fair tracing, social enterpreneurship, good capital,
etc...

Also, because of the background of the givers, one should not leave their
assistance unexamined ... Bill Gates is heavily into promoting GMO's, and
gives money to communities suffering from toxic shock, while investing
simulatenously in the companies that create the problem in the first place

The Gates-Buffet philanthropy has a definite political and social program,
strongly related to create a biological capitalism

To see both the negative and positive aspects of such philanthropy, does not
necessarily mean holding them 'in contempt' ...

Gates is a product of our contracdictory world .. it is only those that
"steal" massively, which can do "good" on a mega scale  .. it's a paradox