[p2p-research] Defining Altruism ? Normative vs Autonomous ? Liberal Vs Conservative ?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 08:29:08 CEST 2010

I am surprised by these views regarding metaphysics ... the left, which in
your view is metaphysical, holds mostly to materialist philosophies, while
the right is most often religiously inspired ...

yet in  your view is the only one you think is metaphysical,

then again, your very sympathetic to arch-religious transhumanist ideas ...
and you find the new atheism, which is pretty much a rehash of 19th century
anti-religion, one of the most interesting thought trends ...

I find that quite contradictory, which is fine for me, most humans are that
way, if not all and I'm pretty sure people would discovered contradictions,

but that you only see metaphysics in the political directions you differ
with, is for me more problematic, because it isn't a fair charge,

both the left and the right have 'ideals', though different, and both have
underlying assumptions which determine worldviews, I don't see how anyone
can espace that,

now if you want to narrow down metaphysics to religious points of view, then
generally speaking, the right is much more 'metaphysical' than the left ..

I think that we are indeed 'responsible', in a metaphysical and moral sense,
for all our brothers and sisters, but it is indeed almost impossible to
practice, we cannot carry all the pain in the world as individuals, so, I
fully understand that you cannot be pragmatically responsible for all
individual human beings .. but moral and ethical developments is essentially
linked to our ability to extend our circle of care ..

Michel