[p2p-research] Defining Altruism ? Normative vs Autonomous ? Liberal Vs Conservative ?

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 14:34:08 CEST 2010

This is useful for enlightened self-interest, which, in short, smears the
definition of altruism, by and large, but gives some context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightened_self-interest#Altruism

Altruism

Enlightened self-interest is also different from pure
altruism<http://wiki/Altruism>,
> which calls for people to act in the interest of others often at the expense
> of their own interests and with no expectation of benefit for themselves in
> the future. Some advocates of enlightened self-interest might argue that
> pure altruism promotes inefficiency <http://wiki/Inefficiency> as well.

 [edit<http://w/index.php?title=Enlightened_self-interest&action=edit&section=6>
]

Economics

   -

   E. E. "Doc" Smith <http://wiki/E._E._Smith>, in his science fiction book
   "Subspace Explorers <http://wiki/Subspace_Explorers>", posited an
   economic formula that would control profits and bonuses, which he referred
   to as "The principle of enlightened self-interest".

The wikipedia entry makes the point of actors understanding the needs of
others, acting in others interest, and that this behavior has no consequence
to their own self interest.  This is a combinatorial definition, using the
other definitions of altruism and adding on to them.

The Nash Equilibirum demonstrates the validity and utility of this kind of
enlightened self-interest:

http://variagate.com/equilib.htm?beaumind

I've been writing a page about a p2p relational system
http://p2pfoundation.net/P2P_Relational_System

I have some content on self-interest and how enlightened interest plays out.

EE Doc Smith is mentioned above.  He wrote over a long period, and created
the lensman series.  The main characters are "incorruptible" people who are
given the gift of telepathic communication and guide the way to the
expansion of the human race throughout two galaxies.  Through the 13 or so
novels of his that I've read the characters, the main characters, are always
in total 'knowing' of their self-interest, and their "gifts" allow them to
trust each other.  Indeed the greatest threats to the universe are always
those that seek to break that trust.  These are characters who never submit,
never give up, know exactly what they need, and are always willing to say
they dont know, they can't yet, or that they need help.

That is an impossible set of attributes.  So, what then....

People iterate.  Through processes of greater and lesser knowing.  Of
trying, failing and picking a new direction.

Questioning the self-interest of someone, or looking for altruism, are
useless without knowing ones self.  That's my contention.

That is why Ayn Rand's flavor is called rational altruism.

There's a favorite saying of mine:  "Know thyself and you will know the
universe and all its Gods."

I add, know thyself and it will be easier to screw yourself over than for
someone to take advantage of you. Then you don't need to concern yourself
with altruism, either.