[p2p-research] ecotechnic future

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 14:23:19 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Alex,
> in my own approach, I have defined peer to peer as based on 'generalized
> non-reciprocal exchange', i.e. non-conditional exchange of individuals with
> a whole (the whole being the commons)

It has also been said repeatedly that the exchange is within a distributed
network, and that means agreements.  These agreements are always hedged
against the value of a commons as individual benefit, and direct reciprocity
is not required for that.

> in material production, this is rarely practiced or possible, hence they
> are based on conditional exchange, and material commons are similarly
> regulated for conditional access and use,

This is under review at the moment.  The progress in the understanding of
the concept of a 'commons' is remarkable, and a growing body of work is
showing how the non-reciprocal exchange you mentioned, mediated by a commons
actually helps a network instead of hurting it.  The point is equity, a
contract arising from the agreement of peers in the network.  The system
must be complex enough to allow peers to equitably regulate their own
activities in a sphere that is relevant to them and connected to the commons
and the network.  This is a formula for an approach to peer production with
regards to any commons, regardless of the nature of the resource.

> can the latter be called peer production?

Definitely.  One hint wold be to say that a distributed network means only
non-submission.  To centralization or decentralization.

> now as long as we keep in mind these important distinctions and know what
> we're talking about, definitional fights are not necessary,

What are the distinctions?

> I also think Dmytri Kleiner may have a different take on defining peer
> production ..
>
> I think he defines peer production everywhere where peers hold a resource
> in common, and he would differentiate access and exchange with the commons
> according to whether you are dealing with other commons, or with private
> for-profit enterprises, only the former would have open and free access to
> the knowledge commons of the community,

This is a form of complexification of networks in order to manage complex
resource or production systems.

> to conclude and answer your question, in my view, the dependence of the
> internet  is only in the sense that it is the 'affordance' which makes
> knowledge/code/design abundant, and hence a anti-rival resource ..

Yes, for these particular production methods for the particular resources in
question.  Inability to access to hi-tech means that some people, otherwise
qualified, end up as wage slaves.