[p2p-research] Login to Wiki, Upgrade your account

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:54:18 CEST 2010

Hello everyone, and especially wiki editors.

The last years have been tough on Mediawiki.  As some of you might know the
software is built to force collaboration and makes the exclusion of editors
difficult  when it comes to some forms of "graded" participation.  Because
the platform is so widely used the motivation to created automated spam
routines is high, and plagues every group using the software.

Our solution for now is that anyone can create a login, and when they
confirm their email they can do a bit more.  New (and old) users are part of
this class, and are forced to fill out the forms that test for humanity.

Spammers get through still, though.  Yesterday I blocked an account for
posting product links on our super popular product hacking page.  Took
several page views and some time.

This is made easier with more people patrolling the wiki!

So, I would like to invite those of you with account to go ahead and write
your name on the following page:

http://p2pfoundation.net/Help:Become_A_Confirmed_Wiki_Editor

I'd like to promote any of you real human editors out there who do work on
the wiki.  Any of the admins can do the promotion, and this can be a page
where we define the rights of the "class of users."  Feel free to use the
talk page to discuss.

Alex