[p2p-research] Defining Altruism ? Normative vs Autonomous ? Liberal Vs Conservative ?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 08:59:45 CEST 2010

interesting distinction of altruism below, as found by Dante,

it sheds light on differences like the one between Ryan, who just today saw
the culture of the poor as responsible for their plight, and my own response
to that,

see here, the source is below:

Politically conservative individuals tend to attribute the causes for a
victim's plight (e.g., poverty, homelessness) internally
Less sympathy is generated for the victim and consequently less help is
given
Tendency to hold a belief in a just world (everyone gets what they deserve
and deserves what they get)
Politically liberal individuals are more likely to make external
attributions (e.g., to society) for a victim's plight
More sympathy is aroused and more helping occurs
Less of a tendency toward just world thinking

**

Tec defines two forms of altruism:
Normative altruism: Altruism that is supported and encouraged by cultural
norms
Autonomous altruism: Individually-based altruism that is not supported, and
may even be discouraged, by cultural norms

Defining Altruism
Prosocial behavior: Any behavior that benefits others
Helping behavior: Behavior that benefits others that is performed with the
anticipation of some reward
Focus is on the self more than on the victim
Egoism is the dominant motive
Donating to a charity to get a tax break
Helping a friend so she will help you in return
Altruism: Selfless help that is performed without the anticipation of reward
Focus is on relieving the suffering of the victim and not consequences to
the self
Empathy is the dominant underlying motive
Anonymous donation to charity
Teacher in Littleton, CO Columbine shootings

Politically conservative individuals tend to attribute the causes for a
victim's plight (e.g., poverty, homelessness) internally
Less sympathy is generated for the victim and consequently less help is
given
Tendency to hold a belief in a just world (everyone gets what they deserve
and deserves what they get)
Politically liberal individuals are more likely to make external
attributions (e.g., to society) for a victim's plight
More sympathy is aroused and more helping occurs
Less of a tendency toward just world thinking