[p2p-research] Let's Roll the Tanks against the Banks!

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 08:26:10 CEST 2010

hi martin,

there is a difficult dialectic between general nonviolent tactics and civil
disobedience, and you are right that without the nastyness of the second, it
is very difficult to get attention to the first ... nevertheless, if you let
the second totally free in the hand of a violent fringe, more often than not
rife with provocateurs, you are almost certainly losing the mediawar and the
sympathy of the public .... letting go an orgy of destruction in my view
very rarely helps social movements, while mature and responsible social
movements police these outbursts ... nearly every right-wing victory is
predicated on playing with the fear of the broad public, and I think it is
wiser to take those enemy tactics into account ... now of course, there is
only a limited way you can control these outbursts, when people are really
angry ..

in your responsee, you say, this is not what I hear within the movement, of
course, I am talking what you hear outside the movement ... you do concede
my point actually but blame it on state violence and terrorism, I disagree,
it is the images of the black block which are seared into TV viewers mind,
and most of them see the police as legitimate protection of democratically
elected leaders ... That hostile forces and corporate media will distort
events is a given, up to smart social movements to be careful not to give
them extra ammunition,

Michel