[p2p-research] Mesh - Not for profit Cooperative + "Megabytes" Currency

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:29:05 CEST 2010

This brings up an interesting conundrum.

If you say to people "There's a mesh network!  It's free!"

They say "Free Internet!  Yes!"

And you say "No!  It's an intranet, with strangers!"

And they say "...oh...what do you use that for?"

What would your answer be?

As long as there is no plan for economic or other agreed upon interaction
with node hosts there are no guarantees of net access, or the long term
presence of the node itself.  They need power, shelter, the usual things an
off-the-shelf robot needs.

Freethenet's original model was to subsidize the node hardware for a
business making a commitment to share an uplink with the public, within
reasonable limits, for a duration.  In some cases the business would pay for
it themselves, and those businesses got installed first.  The point was to
increase traffic.  The business were enticed with advertising, but, in
effect, it was a decision about whether they wanted people loitering with
laptops.

The main library in Amsterdam has recently removed power connections from
the 7th floor, where the most comfortable couches are, and where the beer
is.  It was a veyr busy spot.  They screwed the power connection covers
shut.