[p2p-research] Who Issues the Money that National Governments then Borrow?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 16:30:16 CEST 2010

all money is not already p2p, Ryan, it is in fact the very contrary

it is issued either by centralized governments, or by private banks, not by
peers, under conditions of scarcity and compound interest, one of the major
forces creating infinite growth and destroying the planet; the current money
is pretty much the anti-thesis of p2p as it excludes a vast majority of the
world population from productive activity, while funneling proceeds from the
poor to the rich through the rent attached to debt ... It is the
financialization of the economy which is now the major drain on the
productive economy, making the current debt system a very destructive force

people should therefore be cautious about debt, and be much more literate
about its dangers and consequences

only then is debt, as an investment in future activities, a positive forces,
as a pooling of money for productive purposes

as ellen woods argues, there is no need to be into debt when you can
directly created the funding needed for productive investments ..

the solutions outlined in the book that started this discussion, is not
entirely unconditional, it associated the basic income with a duty to
sending children to school etc .. like microfinance, but so much more
efficiently than microfinance, it directly jumpstarts and bootstraps the
productive capacity of the poor, and this is why these schemes have been
instrumental both in dramatic reductions of poverty in Venezuela and BRazil,
with the associated high economic growth figures

Also, the conclusions of that book seemed to be the opposite of what you
suggest, it is the evidence is that it did not lead people to consume in
perverse ways,

by the way that is precisely what your high debt system does, most money
that goes into existence, 98% of it I believe, is now used for
non-productive activities, a small part into consumption by people who could
not afford it, and the larger part to speculative activities akin to
gambling; this surplus money is one of the key drivers of the current crisis

I cannot see how you can equate bitcoin with a high tax system, that logic
escapes me?

Also there are many activities and contributions that are productive but are
not valued in economic terms. Think of art, volunteering for cleaning up the
oil spill, or open source development.

Michel