[p2p-research] debt free, interest free, issued by US treasury till 1971 + Fed, Bonds, and M0 creation

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 12:47:37 CEST 2010

Although I just noticed Patrick's reply on July 9, mentionning Greenbaks,
Silverbacks, ...
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2010-July/009364.html

I feel like sharing some more references,
and open the question as to how M0 is issued by the central ( private, "fed"
) bank.

------

<http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2010-July/009364.html>Other
then colonial script,
there is to my knowledge another debt free, interest free issuance of money
- called green backs / united states note , issued by the Treasury ( not by
the private "Central Bank / "the fed" ) till 1971 in the US :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Note

*excerpts :*
*
*
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Note#The_Legal_Tender_Acts*
*
*
*"Legal tender status guaranteed that creditors would have to accept the
notes despite the fact that they were not backed by gold, bank deposits, or
government reserves, and bore no interest."*
*
*
*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Note#Comparison_to_Federal_Reserve_Notes
*

*"The difference between a United States Note and a Federal Reserve Note is
that a United States Note represented a "bill of credit" and was inserted by
the Treasury directly into circulation free of interest. Federal Reserve
Notes are backed by debt purchased by the Federal Reserve, and thus
generate seigniorage </wiki/Seigniorage> for the Federal Reserve
System</wiki/Federal_Reserve_System>,
which serves as a lending intermediary between the Treasury and the public."
*

----

*After the intervention of President Jackson to a non-renewal of the charter
of the second central bank ( h*
ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bank_of_the_United_States#Bank.27s_decline<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bank_of_the_United_States#Bank.27s_decline>
 ) *, there has been no central bank for around 70 years.*

*----*
*
*
*Also note that the current private central bank / Federal Reserve , to my
current understanding, buy's Treasury Bonds ( with money it creates out of
thin air ) to guarantee the M0 ( base money ) on which it sets its interest
rate,*
*and which banks need to use to enable fractional banking.*

note : I m trying to find back documents that support this explanation.
Easiest for the moment is to refer to the documentary , "The Money Masters"

@ 1 hour 57 minutes and 45 seconds

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-515319560256183936#
*
*
*
*
*also of interest :*
*
*
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monetary_base*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional-reserve_banking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_System#Central_bank

excerpt :
*
*
*"In its role as the **central bank* </wiki/Central_bank>* of the United
States, the Fed serves as a banker's bank and as the government's bank." ...
"**the Fed sells and redeems **U.S. government
securities*</wiki/Treasury_security>
* such as savings bonds and Treasury bills, notes and bonds."*
*
*
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_fractional-reserve_banking
*