[p2p-research] some considerations

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 15:14:37 CEST 2010

Dear Marco,

I assume you won't mind if I share this with our community, see
http://p2pfoundation.net/Difference_Between_Shared_Code_for_Immaterial_Production_and_Shared_Design_for_Material_Production
and
I also will publish it on the blog

I essentially agree, however, despite the differences, there are
commonalities, which I believe lead essentially to the same basic
relationship between community-commons, enterpreneurial coalition, and
cooperation infrastructure management entity,

see here for the basic idea:
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/open-design-communities-entrepreneurial-coalitions-and-the-partner-state/2009/09/04

more articles on the differences/commonalities:
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Design#Key_Arguments

 Key Arguments for the Benefits of Shared
Designs<http://p2pfoundation.net/Key_Arguments_for_the_Benefits_of_Shared_Designs>
Summary by Kevin Carson: Expanding Peer Production to the Physical
World<http://p2pfoundation.net/Expanding_Peer_Production_to_the_Physical_World>
The economics of open
hardware<http://antipastohw.blogspot.com/2009/02/zen-and-art-of-open-source-hardware.html>(Liquid
Antipasto blog)
Can we shift from open software to open hardware? a) Can peer production
make washing machines?<http://p2pfoundation.net/Can_peer_production_make_washing_machines%3F>.
Graham Seaman; b) Open Source outside the Domain of
Software<http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/chapters/0262562278chapm2.pdf>.
Clay Shirky; c) Why Open
Hardware?<http://p2pfoundation.net/Why_Open_Hardware%3F>by Patrick
McNamara.
In peer production, the interests of capitalists and entrepreneurs are no
longer aligned<http://p2pfoundation.net/In_peer_production,_the_interests_of_capitalists_and_entrepreneurs_are_no_longer_aligned>
Dave Pollard on the fallacy of the Economies of
Scale<http://p2pfoundation.net/Economies_of_Scale>argument, i.e. that
bigger is better.
What are the specific difficulties for Open
Hardware<http://p2pfoundation.net/What_are_the_specific_difficulties_for_Open_Hardware>?

Design for sustainability is inherently
participatory<http://p2pfoundation.net/Design_for_sustainability_is_inherently_participatory>
Can we design our economic policies and politics for developing abundance?
See Roberto Verzola on Undermining vs. Developing
Abundance<http://p2pfoundation.net/Roberto_Verzola_on_Undermining_vs._Developing_Abundance>
David A. Mellis: How Open Source Hardware differs from Open Source
Software<http://p2pfoundation.net/How_Open_Source_Hardware_differs_from_Open_Source_Software>?