[p2p-research] Who Issues the Money that National Governments then Borrow?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 14:31:07 CEST 2010

you ask, *WHO* should create the Money.
which is of course a legimate ethical consideration,

empirically of course, we have state-issued, private-issued and
citizen-issued, with the latter being the weakest, and the first having been
mostly replaced by the second ..

in my view it amounts to four important characteristics: 1) trust in the
issuers; 2) what you can do with it (network effect of acceptance, does a
derivative of 1); 3) ease of use and complexity of usage; 4) governnance -
enforcement against abuse of system . And I'd like to add a fight:
"necessity is the mother of invention", i.e. it would require a severe
breakdown of the existing system before alternatives will become seriously
considered ... it is because this is marginally happening that local
communities are now turning to such alternatives ... but most attempts fail

most peer-issued systems cannot break through 1 and 2; those that did, like
in Argentina, fell victim to 4)

of course, it's nice to imagine a world where everyone is using
citizen-issued money and ask who would not use it ... unfortunately, were
not there, we're still at: how can get just a few people to get willing to
experiment in the first place ..