[p2p-research] P2P Foundation page Category:Commons has been changed by Mbauwens

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 16:45:58 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> when an entry page is forced into a loop in a category page, no editing
> whatsoever is possible ...

This is patently not true Michel.   That page was edited.  Case
closed.  It is a non-optimal practice anyways, and was willingly
changed by Patrick once he saw the situation.  No one is defending the
practice, merely explaining why it was attempted and how to fix it.
You are the one interpreting as otherwise.

As far as the Greyson material goes, on the edits I was correcting,
when I first inserted the template, the text, except for the section
headings was the same.  You can check the edit history if you like.
You are over reacting about imposition.  I decided how to handle it.
I fixed it for you.  I showed you how to fix it.  You can do it next
time if you want to.  You can change it back.  I could edit it again.
It's a wiki, you know?  The point is I'm not trying to 'NOT' put what
you want on the Category page; I'm just doing it a little differently.
 And contextually...more contextually, if you ask me.

This practice of transclusion works for what is intended, even in this
flare up as you struggle to understand how to use the new technology.
I do defend the practice.  You will see more of it, in addition to the
several examples I have sent to you in the last week.  Transclusion is
useful.  If you read the LST and P2PStack Architecture document you
will see that I even wrote down how contextual quotes are handled, as
separate sections.  I didn't invent this.  The basic functionality
comes with Mediawiki.  I think that means it is, you know, a wiki
function.

Here's a use case.  If you are writing something "about" James
Greyson's 7 Switches, don't you think it would be neat if, since he
only watches 2 pages, his user page and the 7 Switches page, that you
could write your contextual piece "7 Switches and P2P Policy" within
'his' 7 Switches page?  Then he gets notified, can correct it, and
work with you.  It's super cool, and better than the way you do it.
All the 7 Switches stuff is all in one place, but can be used
anywhere.  That's why it works.  I know a user has to learn a few new
tags to use it, but, so what, not everyone is writing gigantic pages
like us, so it just doesn't effect that many people, and really isn't
a concern.