[p2p-research] [Open Manufacturing] Re: Non-scarce energy production: I need your help

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 16:15:34 CEST 2010

I wrote a couple email back and forth with Marco.

It seems that there are several directions that might be taken, but
the preferable one is to secure some form of opportunity for royalties
for the inventor.

I have no idea of quantities or anything, but it seems to me this is
part of what is happening with Arduino through trademark licensing
activities.

This approach is compatible with the up and coming open hardware
licensing that posted to the list a few moments ago, linked here
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/07/13/open-source-hardware-oshw-draft-definition-version-0-3-and-summit/

I recommended, of course, that Marco chase down the track of
committing the patent to some form of open license so that production
and innovation could proceed unencumbered, and that the licensing and
trademarking be taken up within a new structure that continued to
provide services, sourcing, and whatever else might be needed to
implementors along with trademark services related to a colony of
goods and services for supporting deployments.  Again, this is similar
to Arduino, from what I can see.

Are there other ideas 'for success' that might help Marco engage P2P
and a commons-based approach in his work?

Alex