[p2p-research] More on "Does the Internet Makes Kids Stupid(er)" from NY Times

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 13:34:14 CEST 2010

"Does it remind us of anything?" When the ancient Greeks were switching to
writing (from their oral tradition), many philosophers observed it
undermined the memory of their students, and cried for more stringent
measures to save the young minds.

Activities that assume filtering, cutting and pasting are different from
those that do not. Assignments that require low-level skills are made
trivial by the Internet:
http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/Bloom%27s+Digital+Taxonomy How about
changing the assignments?

For one incredibly powerful example of how this can be done, follow the work
of Michael Wesch. Check out hit YouTube videos, with millions of views, he
and his lucky students make for class, among other things:
http://ksuanth.weebly.com/wesch.html

"*It’s a question of whether we can preserve the methods through which
education at its best teaches people to think critically and originally."
*Really? Let's preserve OUR methods of thinking and tell THEM not to use
theirs. Because it works wonders for exchange of ideas, especially between
generations, especially when a big culture shift is happening.

Educators should ask themselves, diligently: "How can we help this
generation of students improve in their methods of work?" Only in the
context of this question the next one, "And how can we help them adopt those
of the past tools that still make sense?" can have any hope of being
meaningful.

Having said that, this generation writes (and composes other media)
significantly more than any past generation. Check out this video (by Wesch)
for some numbers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.