[p2p-research] Fwd: [opennetcoalition] US Intellectual Property Organization against ACTA

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 09:00:59 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paolo Brini <paolo.brini at iridiumpg.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:27 PM
Subject: [opennetcoalition] US Intellectual Property Organization against
ACTA
To: opennetcoalition at laquadrature.net

Even the IPO, the Intellectual Property Owners Association, which urges for
a hard "intellectual property" regime, expresses serious concerns about ACTA
to the USA government and notes that ACTA is so wide to require changes in
US laws.

"So here we have a major pro-intellectual property trade group complaining
about the scope and nature of ACTA -- and specifically highlighting that it
will change US law, despite insistence by negotiators that it would not. Are
we now going to be told that the Intellectual Property Owners Association is
a "front" for the anti-IP interests, as we were told about the groups who
signed onto that last anti-ACTA document? In the meantime, on the question
of whether or not it will change laws, it's worth noting that both the US
and the EU keep insisting that ACTA won't change any laws (which makes some
people question why it's being done at all). Glyn
Moody<http://twitter.com/glynmoody/statuses/18340267849>points us to a
recent note from the EU negotiators insisting that ACTA
won't change EU law
either<http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=545&Itemid=9>(despite
pretty clear evidence that it would). Yet, other negotiators have
admitted that *some
countries*<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100629/10381810004.shtml>might
need to change their laws, but won't say who. It must be Morocco...

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100712/02222310172.shtml

Ciao!
Paolo