[p2p-research] What comes next?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:51:38 CEST 2010

there is evidence that those that apply open and free, participatory,
commons oriented practices, as evidenced by the growth of open innovation,
co-creation, co-design, crowdsourcing, and commons -oriented peer
production, are innovating at a higher rate than those functioning in closed
fashions ...

there is evidence that a new combination of productive resources around
knowledge, code and design commons is forming the seed of a new system with
a substantially different logic ..

this evidence is not irrefutable, but strong enough to warrant discussion,
and to fuel visions and hypotheses such as the ones we are discussing here

there is also strong evidence that the continued existence of capitalism in
its present form, will lead to unspeakable human and social catastrophes,
and that it's paradigm of value is not sustainable in the long run ..

where is the evidence for a return to feudalism (in the real technical
sense, with people bound to the land paying tribute to a warrior class
supported by a particular type of salvation-based religion) ?

at the very most, you can use a few feudal analogies in that the emerging
system has some characteristics reminiscent of feudalism, but if there is
more than that, I'd like to hear it ..

However, because of the unsustainability of the current version of
capitalism (and some will argue of capitalism as such as an infinite growth
requiring system), it is very unlikely that th enew system will produce
value "at the level of capitalism"

Past phase transitions were always not just a continuation of the old
system, but a very deep change of social logic ... Feudalism was not a
continuation of the roman empire, and capitalism not a continuation of
feudalism, similarly a successor system will not be a continuation of
capitalism ...

Since we cannot produce capitalist desires at a world level without 3.5
planets and are already eating up the world's reserves at faster than
reproduction rates, something will have to give ..

Michel