[p2p-research] Post-Capitalism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:22:20 CEST 2010

I find this a nice s-f scenario,but totally irrealistic ... so inline, my
own predictions

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A Crude Timeframe for Innovation
>
> Next 2-4 years.  Universities begin to die wholesale through massive
> government cut-backs.  R&D goes to the garages in huge numbers.

- some universities will face severe cutbacks, and western education will be
in crisis because of financial issues, but they will continue to grow
massively in East Asia and other emerging countries

> Next 4-8 years.  Wiki-like repositories of design projects and mechanics
> for sythesizing everything from green transport vehicles to simple drugs
> start to emerge.

they are already starting to emerge now, but it will take longer than that
to have an integrated system that is part of the economy

> Next 8-12 years...governments regularly fail based on financial collapse of
> soverign debt.  This will start in Europe and spread quickly to Asia and
> North America.

this will happen earlier I suspect

> Next 12-15 years.  The capacity of homebrew biology products like new
> organs, limbs, and rebuilt arteries, etc. will make longevity far less
> problematic for the rich (top 20% of the world)...we on this list are all
> rich.

all being rich, I suspect that this is not true, for example, for four
years, I could not afford healthcare insurance, my kids were expelled from
school for inabilty to pay the fees, and in 2006, we relied on food
donations ... I suspect there are other people in the list who are not as
rich as Ryan .. I'm not claiming to be poor per se, I'm just saying you are
perhaps a little foolhardy in expecting that everybody shares your
condition; of course, if you compare it to people having less than 2$ a day,
you are probably right, but that doesn't make most of the people 'rich', in
the relative terms of the peoople we live in ..

> Next 15-20 years...Last of the large for profit industries find it
> difficult to operate in a world where rapid movements to free P2P networks
> are commonplace and very disrespectful of intellectual property.

certainly the crisis of value will play out in the coming period, but I
personally don't discount a new green wave ..

> Next 20-25 years...humans become largely irrelevant.  Singularity and
> robotic technology makes non human hybrids irrelevant...rather like hobby
> farm animals.

this is total fantasy, this rapture will not happen, in 25 years, human
society will face a number of big crisis due to natural resource
constraints, there will be a few more robots around, some increases on
longetivity for some people, drops for others, most people in the world will
likely be busy with other technologies for survival instead of transhuman
religious fantasies; technology will continue to evolve as an adjunct of
humankind, there will be no AI gods ruling us, and we will not be pets of
them