[p2p-research] The problems of debt

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:39:11 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> hy ryan,
>
> I'm supposing you are not familiar with the 'tendency of the rate of profit
> to fall',
>
> the key thing is that there are periodical workarounds, that work for a
> period, then get exhausted,

Michel, this is well understood in business.  The average life of a product
at HP is 18 months...any product.  FIrms continuously innovation to maintain
margin levels.  ROA and ROE are key indicators of this practice in
business.  Profits have always fallen.  Marketing and innovation must step
in to block the process and reverse it.

> I'm not sure about your WW2 thing, I actually think that profits went up
> again, and only started declining in the 70's again, financialization is a
> workaround against that, which is now exhausted. Do you have a link to that
> evidence? My own evidence for the 70's link (actually it started earlier but
> its infection point was in the 70's) is the Big Shift report, by john hagel
> and seely brown, see here at
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-crisis-of-value-is-for-real-return-on-assets-has-declined-by-75-since-1965/2009/11/06

Actually I just posted recent evidence from Invictus on Big Think here that
shows each recovery since WW2 is more anemic.  Automation has been bighting
into human wages for a long time.  In short, humans just aren't as
interesting and powerful as they were in 1940.  We are more productive, but
that productivity has little to do with us...and everything to do with our
tools, machines, computers, software and innovative processes.  Profits are
relatively unimportant unless they are driven sustainably by innovation and
productivity.  Windfalls, fads, etc. are not very interesting though they
may skew profits for a time.  Almost 40% of profits earned in the US are
earned by the top 200 financial firms.  Think of that.  It is hard to
imagine we don't live by making hamburgers, steel, airplanes, corn or shoes
as much as we live by making CDOs, government bonds, trades on FX, etc.
Interestingly, about 50% of US stock exchange volume is in 50 top
issues...that's because it is very hard to succeed as a small distributed
firm at a level of profit and productivity that is globally competitive.  In
short, Amazon clobbered Main Street.  In England, by the way, the ratios are
far worse.

> of course, we differ on austerity, I think austerity intensifies collapse,
> but does not prevent it, but stimulus alone is not sufficient, unless it is
> also structure-transforming ... this is what the west fails to do, but China
> has devoted one third of its stimulus to greening reforms ... again, to
> repeat, productive investments by their very nature DO NOT CAUSE INFLATION
> ..

I do not disagree on either of these points.  I am a Keynsian...like
Krugman, like Bagwhati.  I agree, productive investments do not cause
inflation.  Inflation is caused by too little product being available for
too much demand.  We have the opposite now...huge amounts of idle
manufacturing capacity and too little money.  That causes deflation.
Inflation is nowhere in site except for gold bug lunatics who have no clue
as to how an economy works.

> umair haque has a good entry on propsperians, see the blog, which cuts
> through the fog of the austerity-stimulus debate as carried on at mainstream
> media, as usual to obfuscate  the real issues, he proposes a third way, with
> which I agree, as a way forward within the current system, to create the
> conditions for a new kondratieff upswing, after deleveraging has carried out
> sufficiently,

I don't know what causes these "swings".  That they seem to be patterns of
the past, I find interesting but uncompelling.  I need causality and process
for it to be useful to me.  Deleveraging will not likely be carried out at a
level that is necessary in the next 25 years.  After that, all bets are off
anyway.

rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham
P.O. Box 633