[p2p-research] NYTimes: Chinese Factories Now Compete to Woo Laborers

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:41:08 CEST 2010

Awesome.  Things totally happen in mobs in China.  While I was there
everyone over 40 was quick to inform me of the delicate relationship
with the state appeasing the people.  Companies can be shut down
overnight, to this day, by the state, and one wonders if this is to
quell a potential revolt on a factory, or to quell a revolt on a
factory that spreads through the entire country in a matter of hours.
This is well described in Cory Doctorow's latest, btw.

I prefer the Chinese "capitalism" in many ways.  Especially the 'do
business but only if we like how it works out for the people' thing.
It is a gigantic country, and the regulatory culture is not well
developed yet.  But, as quality of life improves so quickly, for so
many (don't forget, they build a Germany every 12 years) the behavior
of the people changes, too.  I talked to many young folks who, though
they still respect Mao, also understood very well the 'hesitation in
the face of power' that their parents modeled and taught as the
appropriate public face, one that (they don't say this part) might
save you from being the 1 in 10 that was killed during the cultural
revolution.  They know that they fought their brothers and sisters,
too.  Oh, such an ugly period.

Alex