[p2p-research] What comes next?

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 23:20:44 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 15:41 -0500, Ryan Lanham wrote:

> The simple truth is that capitalism has succeeded for more people in a
> broader way than anything else.  There's just no reasonable argument
> contra.

I don't see how you can do this in the email after you admit that a tiny
minority of humanity lives in the countries that benefit from capitalism
while billions live in poverty.

I guess you could argue on the "than anything else", but that doesn't
respond to the previously-cited anthropological evidence that life
before capitalism was much more enjoyable by a wide variety of metrics.
There are some "objective" metrics you could use to claim that even in
the Global South, industrial life is better than what preceded it, but
at least then, the poor could breathe clean air.

It's very clear that capitalism has succeeded for *you*, and for *me*,
and probably for all of the people on this email list. But capitalism
has failed most of humanity, in very clear, demonstrable ways.