[p2p-research] What comes next?

Robin robokow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 18:50:58 CEST 2010

  On 07/12/2010 05:49 PM, j.martin.pedersen wrote:

> On 12/07/10 16:24, Daniel Araya wrote:
>> 1. I believe free market capitalism has largely proved the happiest time for humans by far.
> Yeah, fuck the 16 million Africans that laid the foundation for it. They
> don't count. Fuck the commoners, whose livelihoods were destroyed.
> Nevermind them. Fuck the forests that were and still are cut down. Fuck
> the 90% of the Americas' population. Fuck the indigenous still suffering
> today, such as the Hoarani of whom 10% remain since oil - that liquid
> that fuel your illusions of happiness - was discovered in their
> territory 30-35 years ago. And so on. This statement spells racism.

I am not sure what is mend with happiness either if you take into
consideration how much work one has to do just to get a decent
livelihood. So many people I met in the US (a country with a high
penetration of capitalism) who have more than one job just to be able to
survive... Or even people who are so addicted to wealth or (social)
status they forget to live.

Pre-industrial workers had a shorter workweek than today's
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/worktime/hours_workweek.html

"Before capitalism, most people did not work very long hours at all. The
tempo of life was slow, even leisurely; the pace of work relaxed. Our
ancestors may not have been rich, but they had an abundance of leisure.
When capitalism raised their incomes, it also took away their time."

Wikipedia:
Since the 1960s, the consensus among researchers (anthropologists,
historians, sociologists), has been that early hunter-gatherer societies
enjoyed much more leisure time than is permitted by capitalist and
agricultural societies
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Working_time#History