[p2p-research] The problems of debt

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 18:29:18 CEST 2010

That makes sense, as an operating system is, a software machine.

I see where you are headed on open versus coercive...it is an interesting
line.  Enabling is the key.  The idea must be that people receive more value
by sharing than not.  But still, this beggars imagination because we
understand free riding so well.  Most people will simply hang out and
consume at others' expense while telling themselves and others that they
share willingly and productively.   Such systems (e.g. universities) are
doomed to high costs, low productivity and eventual unsustainability because
people will continuously overestimate the value of their
contributions...which can only be judged by the larger consuming world.

The further I go, the more I realize the only possible system (not the one
most desired) is markets.  Whether markets can function in a post-capitalism
world (a world without debt driven growth) is indeed an interesting
question.  My own guess is that the answers, as usual, rest in the
application of technologies (like robotics, life extending technologies,
etc.)

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Dante-Gabryell Monson <
dante.monson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Money is, in simplest terms, a machine.
>>
>> It isn't like a machine.  It IS a machine.
>>

> I like to see it as "an operating system"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system
>
> where the processing power comes from its use by the ones that have access
> to it.
>
> Hence some of us may be interested in building up a/several new , non
> proprietary , autonomous yet potentially networked "operating system(s)" :)
>
> A ( network of ) operating system(s) where eventually, as Ryan seems to
> say,
> we can further integrate "moral responsibility" towards others.
>
> I imagine it may be possible to incentivize it through transparency,
> including externalities, visualization of interdependencies,
> and recognition in support of selfless-actualization,
>
> while also enabling transactions ( shared ) between various modes of
> relational dynamics<http://p2pfoundation.net/Relational_Model_Typology_-_Fiske>
> ,
> enabling participating individuals to choose the ( participation or
> abstention in the ) transfer of resources from one relational dynamic<http://p2pfoundation.net/Relational_Model_Typology_-_Fiske>to another,
>
> enabling participating individuals to choose participation or abstention in
> one or more relational dynamics, and in one or more networks of relational
> dynamics.
>
> Changing the current quasi monopoly of a coercive, artificially scarce
> operating system for interdependency,
>
> into a "mutually inspiring", collaborative network of potentially
> autonomous networked operating systems,
> where "choice" comes in a networked and emergent way.

Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Facebook: Ryan_Lanham
P.O. Box 633