[p2p-research] The problems of debt

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 17:58:20 CEST 2010

In the past and present, people of enormous productivity (e.g. capitalists)
consumed significantly in a way that others see as wasteful.  Indeed it is.
But they view this as a reward for their huge productivity.  Measuring
productivity and value creation is hard.  No one knows exactly how to do
it.  But we do know that people will argue that their capacity for value
creation is greater than it might actually be.  In other words, people
negotiate for their own benefit rather than society's.  If society does a
bad job at evaluating value of productivity, systems become very
inefficient, and the machines of society too often produce stuff people
don't want as much as they could have if the machines had been used
efficiently.

In capitalism, the more value you create.  The more you get to consume.  In
any other system, immediate imbalances are inevitable.  The only possible
non capitalist system that can work, in my view, is one where moral
responsibility to the society is a sort of currency...as in Nordic
countries.  In those places, value producers subordinate their own desires
to those of others.  Why?  Who can say.

--
Ryan Lanham
rlanham1963 at gmail.com