[p2p-research] An Idea I am Playing With

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:12:11 CEST 2010

Hey Ryan,

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List Members:
>
> I am thinking of an idea.  It is not necessarily P2P but I'd like to apply a
> number of ideas I've learned here and beg for help in thinking through a
> project that may take the rest of my life and more.
>
> I am interested in whisky.  There is an old type of American spirits called
> rye made of that grain.  I have the prospect, far from certainty, of making
> some money in the next few years.  As a hobby, I'd like to consider how to
> build a distillery that makes the finest rye whiskey in the world.   I am
> studying locations (likely rural Pennsylvania) and methods of doing things
> by crafts people...barrels, stills, etc. all in the same community to
> achieve a product that is non pareil.   The very best ever made...best
> waters...best methods, hand made all.

I've got some friends in PASA http://www.pasafarming.org/ if that
helps? Join PASA email lists to connect with basically the whole
sustainable agriculture community of PA :-)

I spent some time last year working with people doing sustainable
agriculture in PA. There are not lots of people currently growing any
staples on a small scale in rural PA (or anywhere in US, really). The
people at http://localfoodsystems.org/appalachian-staple-foods-collaborative-asfc
who are located in Athens, OH have made some good progress in knowing
what it takes to raise grain, corn, beans on smaller scales and
without pesticides/commercial fertilizers. ASFC are strapped for time
and do not have the hands to create any kind of online resources,
though. This is a common problem in Local Food Systems, really.

> Any thoughts or guidance on how I can advance this or those interest in
> co-traveling the process of learning are welcome to inquire.  I realize this
> is not a worker's idea, but that of an elitist hoping to build something
> that is eternal.  In that is vain by standards often applied here.  But my
> hope is that the wood grown for barrels, the craft of making stone
> distillery buildings, etc. will all be accomplished by those who take shares
> in the co-operative effort.  I dream, in short, of a gentle business where
> families engage in the pursuit of perfection in an ancient craft.
>
> I am open to criticism, redirection and reflections as I launch this life
> hobby.  I am committed to the extent that a passion and an idea are
> commitment.  I hope to learn about spirits from all around the world, build
> a knowledge of American rye whiskey, rye growing, barrel and still making,
> stone masonry and similar and supporting topics.  Any thoughts or criticism
> are welcome.

Sounds cool to me!

> Ryan
>

> --
> Ryan Lanham
> rlanham1963 at gmail.com
> Facebook: Ryan_Lanham
> P.O. Box 633
> Grand Cayman, KY1-1303
> Cayman Islands
> (345) 916-1712

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com