[p2p-research] An Idea I am Playing With

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 23:20:19 CEST 2010

Dear List Members:

I am thinking of an idea.  It is not necessarily P2P but I'd like to apply a
number of ideas I've learned here and beg for help in thinking through a
project that may take the rest of my life and more.

I am interested in whisky.  There is an old type of American spirits called
rye made of that grain.  I have the prospect, far from certainty, of making
some money in the next few years.  As a hobby, I'd like to consider how to
build a distillery that makes the finest rye whiskey in the world.   I am
studying locations (likely rural Pennsylvania) and methods of doing things
by crafts people...barrels, stills, etc. all in the same community to
achieve a product that is non pareil.   The very best ever made...best
waters...best methods, hand made all.

Any thoughts or guidance on how I can advance this or those interest in
co-traveling the process of learning are welcome to inquire.  I realize this
is not a worker's idea, but that of an elitist hoping to build something
that is eternal.  In that is vain by standards often applied here.  But my
hope is that the wood grown for barrels, the craft of making stone
distillery buildings, etc. will all be accomplished by those who take shares
in the co-operative effort.  I dream, in short, of a gentle business where
families engage in the pursuit of perfection in an ancient craft.

I am open to criticism, redirection and reflections as I launch this life
hobby.  I am committed to the extent that a passion and an idea are
commitment.  I hope to learn about spirits from all around the world, build
a knowledge of American rye whiskey, rye growing, barrel and still making,
stone masonry and similar and supporting topics.  Any thoughts or criticism
are welcome.

Ryan

--
Ryan Lanham