[p2p-research] director of the Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship at MIT

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 22:07:42 CEST 2010

Yes, would be glad to.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Sam,
>
> I think that *Iqbal Quadir should know about our work, both FF-P2P-F, and
> could perhaps use our work as potential for funding opportunities,*
> **
> *could you contact him on our joint behalf?*
> **
> *he's at MIT,*
> **
> *Michel*
>

> The link between poverty, (de)centralisation and (non)connectivity<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/?p=9662>
> [image: photo of Michel Bauwens]
> Michel Bauwens
> 9th July 2010
>
>  A talk by *Iqbal Quadir* , “Technology Empowers the Poorest”, summarized<http://longnow.org/seminars/02008/may/21/technology-empowers-the-poorest/>by Kevin Kelly:
>
> “In Quadir’s view, it’s not that centralization per se creates poverty.
> Poverty is the natural beginning state of all societies, east or west.
> Rather, *decentralization is the engine which removes poverty and brings
> wealth. To the degree that infrastructure, education, and trade can be
> decentralized, wealth will rise in proportion. To the degree that
> infrastructure, education and trade are centralized, poverty will remain*.
>
> Whereas many of us in the west, particularly the digital west, agree with
> this intuitively, we act contrary to this observation when we give
> large-scale aid to poor countries. As Quadir’s colleague William Easterly
> argues in his book The Elusive Quest for Growth, the billions and billions
> of dollars spent on aid for developing countries has not only *not* helped,
> it has set them back decades. Aid, as we know it, kills development. This
> harm occurs because almost all previous aid has funneled through a central
> government or semi-governmental organizations and that official route
> tightens centrality. Even if the governments were saintly, and they are
> definitely not, the scale of money flowing through these centralizing nodes
> prohibits the distribution of resources, infrastructure, trade, and
> education. The more aid that arrives, the less development can actually
> happen.
>
> *Technology is the escape from this quandary. Quadir came to see that
> “technologies that connect” could liberate productivity. He matched his
> experience in Bangladesh as a 13-year-old boy having to walk 10 kilometers
> to get medicine, only to find out the medicine man he sought was not home,
> and then walking back empty handed, having wasted a day — all because there
> was no connection between his home and the pharmacist. Many years later in
> New York he wasted a day at work when there was no electricity to run phones
> or computers. Productivity required connectivity. If connectivity could be
> decentralized then it would lead to increased wealth.*
>
> Quadir settled on the cell phone as a way to decentralized connectivity. In
> [...]

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://forwardfound.org
http://socialsynergyweb.org/culturing
http://flowsbook.panarchy.com/
http://socialmediaclassroom.com
http://localfoodsystems.org
http://notanemployee.net
http://communitywiki.org
http://p2pfoundation.net

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition."
- Carl Sagan